Please click here for more information.
Eating with braces
Eating with braces
Orthodontic treatment is your ticket to the beautiful smile you’ve always wanted. It’s also your ticket to healthier teeth, with barely any sacrifices needed along the way.
While undergoing braces treatment, you can still enjoy most of your favourite foods. To help make life a little easier during your time as a patient at Eden Orthodontics, we have put together a list of some foods we recommend you eat or avoid. This will ensure you get the best results from your treatment.
Foods to eat with braces
- Overnight oats (but leave out any chia seeds as these can get stuck in your teeth)
- Eggs – scrambled, poached, boiled… however you like them
- Yoghurt and soft fruit, such as peaches.
- Smoothies (but try to avoid berries as the seeds can get stuck in your teeth too)
Lunches and dinners
- Meat and steamed veggies
- Mashed anything – potato, kumara, pumpkin, cauliflower
- Cottage pie
- Fruit and vegetables (Try and opt for soft ones, such as melons, grapes and oranges. If you would like apples or carrots try grating them instead.)
- Yoghurt or creamed rice
- Soft cheeses
- Light crackers dunked in hummus to soften them a little.
Foods to avoid with braces
Avoid anything hard, chewy, sticky or high in sugar or acidity as these types of food and beverage can not only damage your braces but your teeth as well. Here are some specific things to avoid:
- Pizza crusts – just enjoy the soft toppings instead
- Popcorn – sorry, movie nights will have to be with frozen yoghurt instead
- Corn on the cob – but you can still enjoy it if you cut the kernels off
- Caramel and other sweets - sweets both sticky and hard can be harmful for your braces
These lists are not exhaustive, and if you have questions about what you can or cannot eat during treatment, our staff would be happy to answer all of your queries.
There aren’t too many foods that you need to avoid during braces treatment. Just consider your choices carefully and always remember to brush your teeth after every meal and snack. Follow our top tips for looking after your braces and you’ll be on your way to a beautiful new smile in no time.